The two Fridas(Las dos Fridas)

The two Fridas(Las dos Fridas)
 This artwork represents feelings of heartbreak. An art element from this picture I like is the space even though they are two different people they are connected to the same  heart representing  the same person just two different sides of the person. Another art element I like is the color of the background. The color of the background represents the darker colors making them look like clouds. One last art element I like is the texture. You can see the texture from the bottom of the dress making the dress look crinkled. 

Background 

The art work is titled “ The Two Frida’s.”  Frida Kahlo was known as a rebellious leader in an era where she didn’t meet beauty or social expectations. One way we can see she didn’t meet the beauty standards is by her unibrow that she is famously known for. Frida painted when she was recently divorced we can see it on the right she’s holding a picture of her ex-husband representing her divorce.  In the painting where Friday wears a white dress she wore it at the time of her ex-husband after finding out her ex-husbands infidelity she painted the picture on the right the strand represents heartbreak about her divorce. Another representation of this artwork is on the left it shows Fridas European side and on the right it shows her  Mexican identity. I relate to this painting by having the same meaning at times I show my American identity but other times I show my Mexican identity. 

Dr. Doris Maria-Reina Bravo, "Frida Kahlo, The Two Fridas (Las dos Fridas)," in Smarthistory, August 9, 2015, accessed January 23, 2023, https://smarthistory.org/kahlo-the-two-fridas-las-dos-fridas/.


Comments

  1. This is a super interesting analysis! I always thought of this painting as representing her sad and pained self after being divorced, and then her again after she had begun healing. I love how you described that aspect but also added in the personal narrative of having a European/Western identity as well as a Mexican one, something that is so common in our world today. Additionally, I appreciated the texture you described in their dresses and the background. I would like to know more about how you feel on the background colors and what they might represent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept that this art piece presents. I can definitely see the heart break through the blood and her heart being replaced into the right image. I also have this relation since I have my American side but also have my Asian side as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good analysis! I have never seen this painting before, so I thought that the story behind it is super interesting. I also really liked how they used texture to make the dresses look realistic. I would like to know more about what you feel about how the picture makes you feel, and why you like the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    Great art work analysis choice! Likewise, one thing that is pretty obvious in this painting is the space feature between the two individuals. The closeness in space between the two indicates that there's possible consolation for one of the subjects that's being offered by the other. I also feel that this work shares more in common with some of the more common and famous works that have been associated with famous Spaniard artists, whose works tend to reflect plenty of emotion usually due to usage of bright colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baroque, The Consequences of war